As people of God we can no longer be ignorant to spiritual warfare and the tactics of the enemy. The enemy, Satan, does not like the people of God, especially if they know who they are and walking in their purpose. One of the way in which he attacks the people of God is by building strongholds.
See my other article on Fighting Spiritual Warfare
Strongholds are ways of thinking or a thought that the enemy injects in a person. That individual starts believing the lie(s) of the enemy, and will then starts acting out that lie. After a while what began as a thought becomes a stronghold. More importantly, spiritual strongholds are lies by the enemy that you hold to be true. When you are fighting against spiritual strongholds you are fighting against the thought(s) that holds an individual, family, community or even country in bondage. What then became a thought now can now become a culture or way of life for a set of people. That’s how many cultures came about, it began with a thought and then that thought became a way of doing things.
The enemy realize that the mind of an individual is very powerful and if he wants to defeat a child of God he needs to attack him in his/her mind, it is with the mind we serve God (Romans 7:25). Because Satan realizes this, he uses various tactics to control an individual thinking, e.g. condemnation, deception, doubt, and fear. Your thinking controls your actions; your action controls the direction your life is heading. This is why many people will never give their lives to the Lord, and if they do they continue to live a defeated life, as they feel condemn, inferior or any other mental attacks the enemy fit to employ.A stronghold is a way of thinking or a thought that the enemy injects in a person. That individual starts believing the lie(s) of the enemy, and will then starts acting out that lie. After a while what began as a thought becomes a stronghold. More importantly, strongholds are lies by the enemy that you hold to be true
Satan will use guilt, thoughts about our past, what people may or may not be saying about us, or speaks lies that ultimately cripples an individual Christian walk. The plan of the enemy is to kill, steal and to destroy (John 10:10) and he will use anything at his disposal to accomplish this.
Disarming Spiritual Strongholds of the Mind
As Christians, we no longer have to live defeated lives but we can live victorious lives, and this starts in the mind. Today I want to teach you how to fight back against Satan and his lie and thus destroy those spiritual strongholds that are holding your life captive.
The following are a few action steps to take in disarming spiritual strongholds.
- Understand who you are. Many people entertain the lies the enemy puts in their mind because they do not know who they are and the power and authority given to them.
- Read and Abide in the word of God. The Bible has truths that if we should read, understand and abide by we will live a victorious life. The word of God has the power of transform our thoughts and live and as a believer we need to flood our minds with the words of God.
- Don’t entertain the lies. Now that you know who God says you are, you are warrior and not a weakling, you are special and not who the enemy says you. You now need to resist the enemy and he will flee from you, he might return but when he does you cannot entertain his ideology or thoughts. When the enemy attempts to invade our thoughts and speaks his lies, do not give him any chance to enter our thoughts.
- Live a forgiven life. The enemy will try to bring up what you did in your past and let you think you have not been forgiven, but you need to let him know that you have repented of your sins and God has forgiven me. Do not let the enemy fill your mind with guilt and condemnation as the Bible says there is no condemnation to them that have given their life to God. Your past is the past and no one has the right to dig up what God has already buried and forgotten about.
- Live a repented life. To defeat the enemy we cannot afford to give him any more ammunition that he already has. Therefore as believers we have to get rid of the old you and try to be Christ-like.
- Be a Worshipper. A worshipper has peace of mind as the glory of God radiates from him. God loves a worshipper and will always draw close to a worshipper. The presence of God will burn out all the deceptive thoughts of the enemy. Worship destroys yoke and the enemy cannot stay around a person who is a worshipper.
- Enter into warfare prayer. Prayer is a very powerful weapon God has given us. Through prayer we pull down strongholds and break yokes. Sometimes as believers or Christians we have to fight for our breakthrough.
The Bible says in Proverbs 23: 7, “for as he thinks in his heart so is he.” What the scripture is basically telling us is that we are who we think we are. If you think you are a warrior then you are a warrior as you will act as a warrior. We no longer can entertain the lies of the enemy but must get up and fight back. God has already given us the victory over the enemy; it is up to us to receive it daily.
What are your thoughts and this topic of spiritual strongholds? Do you have anything you would like to contribute?