As it was in the beginning, so shall it also be in the end, only now it’s at a wider scale than it was in the days of the Apostles. However, one must ask the question, “Why so much confusion if there is one God? After all Christ and God is one person, and not many”.
Every denomination will readily accept that there is but one God and that Jesus came to earth to die for our sins, however, where the differences starts is, what role does Jesus really play and who is He (some churches say he is God e.g. Apostolic, while others deny this claim, e.g. Jehovah Witness); what about Christian dressing and attire? What name and form should we be baptize in? is there a baptismal formula we should follow? Which day should we worship? These and other doctrinal issues continually to keep the church divided.
[tweetthis]Jesus did not leave a divided church. He left a united church. [/tweetthis]
What caused the church to be divided?
Christianity started well with preachers and teachers all saying the same thing, what really went wrong? Here are some things that I believe is the cause of the problem:
- False Teachers and Prophets- Paul in his last message to the Ephesians Elders (Acts 20:29-30) warned them that when he is departed ‘wolves’ (false teacher and prophets) will arise, even from within the church or congregation, and distort the Word of God (modify or change it to suit their purpose(s); and this still continues even right now as you read this message someone is out their changing the Word of God. We have to understand that the enemy of God, which is Satan and his servants and demons, are the masters of deception (lie), the bible calls Satan the father of all lies (John 8:44), and therefore he have sent out his servants or has influence godly teachers to teach and preach what the Bible never said or meant. The Bible said in 2 Corinthians 11:14 “And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light”. Is your pastor or teachers teaching what the Bible really says?
- Incorrect interpretation of the Bible- Although they are a lot of teachers, with good intentions, may have simple misinterpret what the Bible or Word of God says or teaches; even the greatest teachers and preachers with the best intention find themselves in this situation. The situation becomes very problematic when 1. The individual fails to acknowledge his or her error when they learn of the truth 2. Fundamental topics or doctrines are being misinterpreted. This I believe is the root cause of why we are having so many different denominations e.g. Apostolic, Baptist, Church of Nazarene, Jehovah Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of God and others. This have led to many different believes, for example, Apostolic believes in Speaking in Tongues and the infilling of the Holy Ghost while Seventh Day Adventist do not believe otherwise 3. The person(s) willfully teaches or preach false teachings with the intention of misguiding the people. This is indeed the most dangerous of the three as these people do not care about your salvation but is bent on deceiving and ultimately destroying the people. These people are on assignment given to them by their master the devil to rob mankind of the truth of God. However, despite of their progress and intention God has sent his chosen people to illuminate the darkness; to bring light and deliverance where there is none, and to preach the undiluted and an undisputed Word of God.
- Preachers and Pastors with wrong motives- There is no shortage of Pastors who forms churches with the intention of getting rich. The sad fact is that many of them have succeeded in deceiving millions of unsuspected people who really want to serve God. Many of these false Pastors have some of the biggest congregation, drive some of the biggest and latest cars, live in the biggest and fancies house etc. These are some of the preachers and Pastors we listen to on the radio, watch on YouTube, watch on TV and see each week.
We are living in a day and age where preaching the gospel of Christ is big business; people are no longer call and have a passion for ministry but many see preaching as a business, a get rich quick scheme. The world is dying for truth, to hear from God and these people have taken advantage of this. Many of them are some of the very preachers and Pastors who are always preaching about prosperity and material blessings and leaving the principles of the gospel and holiness. These are some of the very preachers and pastors who preach or teaches that God will never send his people to hell, that it is okay to live a double life as long as you attend church weekly and give your tithes and offerings, that it doesn’t matter who you are God will accept you and you can continue in your sin and even homosexuality, fornication and other sins the bible condemns. Do not get me wrong I have no problem with prosperity; after all I would love to have a nice house, car and material things, however, which is more important? Material things or your relationship with God? Your relationship with God of course as material things will fade away (Ecclesiastes 3:9-14, 18-22; 12:13-14). If God has blessed me with material things does it mean that I am living a life that pleases him? That is a big NO!!!! Once you work hard God will bless you. The problem with this teaching is when material things take center stage and not what the Bible teaches. For example, many high-profile Pastors in wanting to attract a large crowd (thereby putting more money in their pockets) teaches that there is no hell and nothing is wrong with homosexuality.
Preaching the Word of God is not, and should not be look at as a business but should be seen as a high calling, a call to bring the people to Christ. As a matter of fact Jesus lived a simple life and most of his followers did the same because they believed that godliness with contentment is a great gain (1 Timothy 6:6).
- People with Itching ears- The Bible clearly declares in the book of 2 Timothy 4:3-4, that in the Last Days many will not want to hear sound doctrine but will seek out teachers that will teach them what they want to hear, and what makes them feel good. We see this in the movie industry, music industry and in Christendom. But guess what, the truth of God is not always easy to hear, but it is what will save and keep you (e.g. your parents instructions are not always easy to hear and follow but it kept many of us out of trouble and made us productive citizens)
These are teachers that teach that Christians should not face problems when the Bible clearly let us know that everyone who wants to live godly will be persecuted (2 Timothy 3:12). These are preachers and teachers that teaches it is okay to live your life anyhow you pleases etc. I believe that this Bible reference is very fitting for our discussion:
1 Timothy 4:1-3
“Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth”
- We have another set of people whose minds the enemy has blinded; therefore they cannot come to accurate knowledge of the Word of God, unless they receive deliverance (2 Corinthians 4:4). These are people who want to serve God but their spiritual eyes have been blinded, resulting in many of them teaching and believing a lie.
[pullquote]Preaching the Word of God is not, and should not be look at as a business but should be seen as a high calling, a call to bring the people to Christ. As a matter of fact Jesus lived a simple life and most of his followers did the same because they believed that godliness with contentment is a great gain[/pullquote]
Unlike what many modern politicians, celebrities, preachers and others believe that there is no one absolute truth, I strongly believe that THERE IS ONE ABSOLUTE TRUTH, and that is the Word of God (John 17:17). The Word of God is truth and anything that goes against this is false; no one can truthfully say they have disputed what God says. Regardless of the fact that there is so much confusion in the Christian churches today I strongly believe that there is a true church in all this confusion. God has never left himself without a witness and the true church is still alive and active today. These are the people who are not afraid to believe and follow what the Bible teaches and follow in the Apostles doctrine.
[tweetthis]Check out this great article on why the churches are so divided[/tweetthis]
In my conclusion, we as a people need to realize that it is the plan of the enemy (Satan and his demons and followers) to keep the people divided and in darkness. A divided people cannot and will not stand. It is his plan to deceive the world with the final goal of causing mankind to lose their soul and go to hell, it is a battle for the souls of mankind, God against the devil. The devil does not care MUCH if you go to church or not, he is mainly concern about what you will learn and put into practice.
It is however, the will of God our creator and Father that each of us have accurate knowledge of Him and be saved. The truth of God is out and it is up to each one of us to find it and be saved. Heaven or hell, which wills you chose? (Please see my other article which speaks about this Heaven Or Hell: Which Do you Choose? ).
What are your thoughts on what is happening in the churches today? You too can participate in this discussion by leaving a comment with our community below.