Each one of us as soon as we become a Christians we instantly enter warfare, the battle against good and evil. Before we all became a Christian it was much easier for us to engage in sinful activities (depending on our parental upbringing), however when we became Christians we now have to acknowledge certain guidelines of behavior, for example, before we became Christians we could engage in sexual activities when we choose, but when we became a Christian we no longer can engage in such activities outside of marriage.
The bible let us know that the kingdom of God suffers violence, and the violent we should take it by force (Matthew 11: 12). This simple means that to do the will of God takes determination, vigor, persistent and commitment. It’s simple not an easy road. However, the bible let us know that God will not give us more than we can bear neither will he let us walk on a road that he himself never travels on. Therefore we can rest a sure that God will help us to overcome no matter what challenges comes our way. If we are tempted, he will provide away of escape for us so that we will not fall into sin. However, the question now is, if I am a Christian, How do I stand?
Here are some steps in standing for God
- Realize first of all that we are all humans and there are times that we will fall, but it’s important for us to know that we can get back up, dust the dirt off of our garment and try not to fall again (1 John 1:9;2:1). When we make a mistake or sin against God we can go boldly before the throne of God and ask him for forgiveness (Hebrews 4:16). I don’t care how far you have fallen, God is waiting to forgive you and take you back in his loving arms.
However, it is important for us not to continue in sin by being presumptuous. Being presumptuous means knowing that the thing is wrong but we continue doing it because we can seek God for forgiveness. This should not be. To repent means to change our wrong behavior, e.g. if you tell a lie and repents your repentance means that you have acknowledge the sin and will try your very best not to tell another lie, with all sincerity.
- Fast, pray and read the Word of God often- Fasting and prayer will give us the strength we need to stand and cause us to grow closer to God. The closer we get to God the more strength we will gain to live holy and the better our relationship will be with him. Jesus said that some things that we will face can only be handle through prayer and fasting (Matthew 17:21) and said of his disciples that they will have to fast when he is no longer with them (Matthew 9: 15), why? Because they will need to fast often so they can stand.
- Hang out with people who can strengthen and motivate you- As human beings we are social beings, and what that means is that we need each other, we need to socialize in order to survive. However, we have a choice in who we keep as friends or keep as mere acquaintances and whose voice we hold in high regards. It is very important that if we want to stand by the word of God then we should seek out people that will strengthen and motivate us. Even if the person is not as strong as you are but the person is seeking after God, iron sharpens iron, we should still befriend that person.
- Be committed – This Christian walk requires us to be committed. The bible said that the kingdom of God suffers violence and this violence cause men to PUSH their way into the kingdom (Matthew 11: 12), to stand for God is not a simple walk in the park; it requires vigor, courage, commitment, perseverance and self-motivation. The only way we are going to enter the Kingdom and abide in the Word of God we got to have a made up mind. We have already started on this road, yes it is ruff and we will get some ‘bruises, along the way, but we MUST BE COMMITTED TO STAND AGAINST ALL ADDS, NO MATTER WHAT!!
- Don’t allow your peers to discourage you- Most of us will agree that our greatest motivator is often not the word of God, but our peers (persons around us). Although we acknowledge that God should be the one we listen to, we sometimes allow the people around us to dictate to us how we should think and behave instead of the Word of God. We are surrounding by entertainment industry (movies, music’s) encouraging us to go against God’s word using people who we can relate to and our own age. This is a snare of the enemy. If we don’t fast, pray, and read the word of God often, be committed and hang out with peers or persons that will encourage and motivate us to follow the word of God, then sadly we will not stand firm as a Christian.
- Feast your mind upon things of God- There is a slogan that says ‘you’re what you eat’ this is also true for our spiritual life, whatever you feed your mind upon, that is what will direct your life. The Bible says in Galatians 6:7-8, “Be not deceive; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting”. If we constantly feed our mind upon sexual things then we will not be able to stand, we will become weak and fall into temptations.
My encouragement to you is to feast your mind upon things that are pure, of good report, things that will uplift and strengthen you.
Being a Christian is not an easy road to walk on, but God said that he will not leave us alone. We do not have fight this battle alone and we do not have to be backslider, but we can stand on the Word of God.
Get a copy of my latest book An Empowered Life and wake up everyday feeling renewed and empowered. Order Now
What is your views on how we can stand as a Christian and overcome sin? Please share your thoughts or comments with us by leaving a comment below. Like this article? Please share it on Twitter and Facebook. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you will not miss another post from us.