How can I be successful at school, in my job and in every area of my life? Living a successful life is not impossible, if you can learn the principles of success and happiness.
Can you imagine where the world would be now if there was no educational system, no schools or place of learning? In fact it is through learning that we are able to do all the things that humanity has been able to carry out until this very moment. Even Jesus went to school and received a formal education (Luke 2:46-47, 52).
Schools are very important for our personal growth and development and for continuation the human race. It is equally important for us to have a formal education so that we can better able to study and understand the Word of God, which is the Bible. Although this article is based on being successful at school, the principles outline here can be applied to every aspect of your life
Steps on how to be successful at school
Here are some practical steps that each one of us can take to be successful at not only school but at every area in our life
- Put your trust in God and put him first in all things. The bible says that ”I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me”- Philippians 4:13. It doesn’t matter who you are or what parental or socioeconomic background you were born in, God can, and will, promote you if you seek him and work hard (Psalm 75:6-7).
Moreover, He should be the center of your life and your faith and hope should be on God, not on our own strength or merit. Whether you want to admit it or not He is our source and without him, we are nothing and cannot do or accomplish anything unless God permit or allows it.
- Believe in yourself. Confidence in God that he will help you mixed with confidence in yourself and your abilities will no doubt help you to be successful. Confidence with give you the personal strength to face any obstacle that may come your way; not to mention it will help you to study and or work hard. In fact it was Marcus Garvey who said (in my own words) that if you don’t have confidence in yourself then you will be twice defeated in this race of life. Do not let anyone tell you or cause you to believe that you’re not good enough or you cannot accomplish anything in life, as stated earlier; with God on your side you can accomplish anything. And don’t try to do anything you know you definitely cannot manage, for example, don’t study to become a doctor when you know that you cannot manage basic chemistry.
- Challenge yourself to be the best that you can be in all your subjects/courses. This does not mean that you will start looking down at others who are able to perform as well as you. Self-righteousness will not get you anywhere but will destroy you rather than build you. The bible say, ‘‘Pride [goeth] before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.”- Proverbs 16:18. Moreover, if you look at the kings and great men in the Bible who God exalted and gave great wealth and success, it was when they became high-minded their destruction started (eg. 2 Chron 12:1; 1 Timothy 3:6 etc.).
What is it you want to become? Push yourself to the limit, and remember it is okay to make mistakes at times; but when you don’t forget to acknowledge you mistake and try again
- Be self- motivated. If you’re not motivated to attend school, classes or in any area of your life then you will not be successful, or as successful as you should be. To be successful it is important that you first see the value of obtaining a good education, or completing a given task. Do you think the person who invented the bus or vehicle you take each day were slack concerning their education? NO!! To receive or to accomplish anything in life you need to have some level of education, now to what extent you are successful in your future to a large extent depends on your level of education, how successful you were in school; and your level of motivation. Going to school can help develop your problem solving skills, develop good social skills, help you to get a meaningful job and thus be able to take care of yourself and family. Therefore since you need an education, why not stop dwelling on the things that you don’t like about school and start thinking about the many benefits you will receive from going to school and getting a good education. Knowledge is power!!
- Attend school and classes regularly. As much as possible, try not to miss school unless it is for some unavoidable circumstances why you are not able to attend. Similarly, when you attend school try not to miss any classes, all classes are important. If for some reason(s) you’re not able to attend school or class try to find out what was taught and get any notes given along with assignment given. By doing this you are ensuring that you do not miss anything and thus will not get left. Do not follow your peers who hide away from school and classes, no good shall come from this behaviour. BE RESPONSIBLE!!!
- Organize your time properly- good time management and organization goes a far way. Can you imagine walking into a public library and the books are all scattered around the room with no sense of order? How long do you think it will take you to find a book to help you with your science homework that is due the next day? Wouldn’t it be easier to find the book(s) you need if everything were all neatly organize in order and clearly labeled? This same approach should be taken with your schooling. This can easily be done by establishing a workable schedule which take into consideration your chores, social activities, homework and study time. After making your schedule it is equally important for you to follow it as much as possible and DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. To procrastinate is to put off something that you can do now, or should do now, for later. It is so very easy for you to say, ”i’ll do it later”, but soon after if you continue to do this it will develop into a pattern and thus will become a part of you.
- Do homework as soon as possible, preferable before watching TV or engaging in any recreational activities. In addition to this, each evening you should do a short revision of topics covered throughout the day. Similarly, do additional work if possible, for example work out as many mathematically problems in your text book of topics you recently completed. These activities will keep recently completed task fresh in your memory.
Organize your time properly- good time management and organization goes a far way
- Get help for any problem you may have with any topic discuss in class. It is not a shame to ask for help as none of us can do everything on our own and none of us knows everything, only God alone. When asking for help, ask someone that will not belittle or make you feel silly and will not embarrass you in front of everyone. Instead you try to find trustworthy and helpful people that can help you with your problems (Proverb 15:22).
- Have a goal. Goals are very important as they help you to organize and plan your life. When making goals, however, it is important not to make goals that are unrealistic but try to simple, attainable and focus. For example, if you want to become a Doctor then make smaller goals that will help you to accomplish your main goal of becoming a doctor, to pass your exams. The bible say, ”Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.”-Proverbs 4:26
I hope that you find this post very helpful and will visit us again. Please remember, the power is within to be great regardless of your socioeconomic background.
Your comment and or question is greatly appreciated. Please subscribe, leave a comment and like and/or share this article.